Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Tualatin OR (Southwest of Portland) Roamers Rest RV Park

OK, to whom ever is listening, I take it back! I'm sorry I complained about it not being flip-flop weather!

In search of relief, we visited the downtown Portland riverfront (Tom McCall Waterfront Park). If you don't know your way around, we'd suggest doing a little research on parking before taking off. It was the first time I had ever seen Google Maps using negative arrival times. The waterfront was a good call.

The waterfront was cooler and bustling with activity. From one vantage point, I could see nine bridges crossing the Willamette River, railroad trains across the river, light rail trains, cars, trucks, boats, planes, lots of bicycles, and lots of people walking.





Voodoo Doughnuts storefront

I had been a little miffed with Tom for making me miss out on Voodoo Doughnuts in the morning, but he more than made up for it when he discovered the shop was only a few blocks away from the waterfront and took me there. For those who may not have heard of it, Voodoo Doughnuts is a funky, well-known doughnut shop in Portland. It's open 24/7, and is known to have lines wind around the corner in the mornings. Tom and I picked the perfect time (4:45 PM) and only had to wait about 10 minutes. I had the Pot Hole and Mango Tango. Tom had the Raspberry Romeo and Chocolate Coconut Cake.









Some of the doughnut selection


One of the Four seems to be missing... hmmm














We spent Tuesday afternoon and early evening in downtown Portland, walking around the waterfront, going to Voodoo donuts, playing in the water fountains and otherwise wasting away the late afternoon until dinnertime. We had a couple of options on our list and make a last minute decision to go to the Oregon Culinary Institute restaurant. (Pok Pok will just have to wait for another trip.) The meals are prepared and served by current students. We had a superb four-course meal for $22! What a deal.

I started with the roasted carrot soup because I'm not a fan of goat cheese. However, I must admit, Tom's Grilled Broccolini with whipped goat cheese was better.

Then I had the Shaved Summer Vegetables because I don't like radicchio (Yuck!). Tom had the Radicchio Salad. Who knew radicchio could taste good? Must be the manchego combination...








Our entrees were Pepper-Crusted Hanger Steak and Grilled Pork Loin, both very good.

Pepper-crusted hanger steak

Grilled pork loin

Then we both finished with the OCI Chocolate Dream Torte, delicious! (I tried to take pictures before eating, but...)

If you do try them, reservations are required.

2 comments:

  1. Did you get to Powell's Books? or is that another trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, completely forgot about it. Have to be another time.

    ReplyDelete