Friday, October 11, 2019

Gunnison CO, Brrrrrrrr and OHHHH NOOOO!

On Friday, October 11th we head south and east to Gunnison, Colorado. We're headed to the KOA there.










This one has an interesting menagerie of farm animals. There's one mule that's allowed free range of the campground. We were told the others tend to wander away, so are kept fenced. Other residents include Shetland ponies, a big bull named Norman, and some goats. There may have been more critters, but we didn't see them. 
Tank meeting one of the locals

















If you spend any time in Gunnison, you will find out that it gets cold here, DARN COLD. Eight months of the year (October - May) the average low is below freezing. But since we are the adventurous types, it doesn't stop us. Seeing as how we've decided to visit in Mid October - the nights... wait for it... got DARN COLD! I do admit the daytimes were pleasant.


We take a day to go sightseeing up past Crested Butte (a town and ski area) and then up into Kebler Pass. Once we get back to the RV, we notice a relatively large puddle beneath it... that's never good 😖! After muttering several choice words and thinking over a bunch of others, I decide to consider my options. Unfortunately, there were no cliffs to drive the RV off of, and that course of action would have left us homeless for the upcoming freezing night, so I better keep thinking.

After coming to the realization that neither the Calvary, not AAA were going to be knocking on our doorstep anytime soon, I grudgingly change into some old clothes and went crawling underneath the RV. Because the weather was below freezing, we weren't connected to the campground water source (doing so risk bursting above ground pipes... which campground owners don't particularly care for). So we were using water from our RV's freshwater tank. My fear was that the cold weather cracked our fresh water tank or one of the hoses leading into the tank or out to plumbed parts of the RV. As I was trying to locate the leak location, I kept hearing the water pump cycle on and off. If you are not familiar with RVs, normally the water pump runs only long enough to pressurize the system and then shuts off. It should remain off until you run some water OR your system looses pressure... which would happen if you have a leak! After spending a considerable time under the RV tracing hoses that I could see, but still not being able to find the leak, I turn off the water pump and noticed that as the pressure dropped, the leak stopped. I decided I needed to do more research on the problem in the warmth of the RV topside. At least we knew we could stop the leak, if only temporarily. If I wasn't able to find the leak, we were going to have to take it to some RV service place in the next big town we came to, UGH. I had visions of dollars leaking out of my credit card and down the drain 😢. We were heading to Royal Gorge and Cañon City the next day. Maybe after doing some research I'll have a better idea of where or how to find the leak.



No comments:

Post a Comment