Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Lake Powell, AZ

We head south from Kodachrome State park for a 3 hour drive to the Lake Powell area and the town of Page in northern Arizona. The primary reason for coming to this area was to see some of the slot canyons. There are a number of canyons in the area (the most famous of which are Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon), most of which are on Navajo land and can only be seen by using one of the approved tour companies. After Wendy did some considerable research, we opted to go on the Horseshoe Bend Slot Canyon (a.k.a. Secret Canyon) tour (and were very glad we did).

We went in a group of about eleven people and were the only ones in this particular slot canyon (unlike some other canyons that could be packed with dozens of people from multiple tours). Since I brought my tripod with me, I brought up the rear of the group and waited for others to clear out of an area, until I had it to myself. We stayed in the canyon for about 1 1/2 hours, but I could have happily stayed there all day shooting. It was one of the most stunning places I have ever seen!



A happy camper!


Best Seat in the House

After leaving the slot canyon, we head to Horseshoe Bend. Most people see Horseshoe Bend by driving south on Hwy 89 to a large parking lot, brimming (if not overfilling) with cars and tour buses and then hiking about 3/4 mi along with a steady parade of other people to the viewpoint. Since we were on a Navajo tour, we had the luxury of taking a private road on Navajo land about a mile south of the hordes of less fortunate tourist. We were fortunate to have to share our views with just the small group on our tour and could enjoy the enormity and serenity of the area.

Wendy wasn't quite as thrilled with my seating choice, didn't really want to look at me and opted for something just a little farther back.


Glen Canyon Dam Bridge 

Colorado River behind the Glen Canyon Dam


No comments:

Post a Comment